Picture the scene. You are heads up with your arch nemesis in a Texas Hold ‘Em tournament and you feel like that inside straight draw might just fill out for you. Your opponent is bluffing, or is he? All your concentration is required to make the right decision. Then suddenly, the music changes to that song, you have always hated, which reminds you of your psychotic ex. In an instant, your concentration is gone and you are on the verge of handing over your stack. Darn that song! The lesson to be learned is that next time, you will wear headphones with your choice of tunes. We have taken the liberty of compiling a little playlist of casino-appropriate tunes to keep your head in the game.
- Luck be a Lady – Frank Sinatra. Old Blue Eyes knew what he was talking about, being no stranger to a little flutter. This is the perfect tune for your stroll to the casino, to imagine yourself as one of that Rat Pack and conduct your evening with a little flair.
- Viva Las Vegas. Either the Elvis version or rockier ZZ Top cover of this one is a great start to your night. Inspiring and upbeat to put you in the mood for success.
- Poker Face – Lady Gaga. Not just relevant to the card players, this happy, poppy tune is just what is needed to keep the mood light and optimistic as you seek your fortune.
- Money, Money, Money – Abba. The Swedish popsters should keep your eyes on the prize with this mantra, which could easily be followed up with The Winner Takes ItAll.
- Superstitious – Stevie Wonder. Just try and stop your head bobbing to that bass line! This funky tune will have the added bonus of making you look super confident and sure of yourself as you nod your noggin in time. Helpful at the high-stakes table.
- Ride of the Valkyries – Wagner. A bit of a departure from the previous happy-go-lucky pop tunes, this driving, motivating, classical piece is bound to make you feel untouchable. Perfect for when you are bossing the poker table as chip leader!
- The Gambler – Kenny Rogers. Okay, calm down a little and listen to Kenny’s sage advice about knowing when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em. That dude’s been around the block, so he knows a thing or two.
- We Are the Champions – Queen. Keep this song in reserve for your moment of triumph. As you cash in your enormous stack of chips and stride confidently towards your celebration venue, Freddie’s inspiring vocals shall be all about you. Unless of course it did not work out, in which case see below.
- Ain’t That a Kick in the Head – Dean Martin. Lost the lot? Never mind, happens to us all. Let Dean soothe your ills. Maybe you listened to the songs in the wrong order?